Automatically backlink your linked records that are in the same table
There are times you want to backlink Airtable records to each other that are in the same table. Airtable supports backlinks for Linked Records between 2 different tables, but does not support backlinks for Linked Records that are in the same table. This fixes that by auto-populating the backlink fields.
You have 1 table that contains all Employees. You want to add a Manager name to the Direct Report Employee record and also show (backlink) the Direct Report Employee record on the Manager's record. This function automatically creates the backlink.
While backlinks are supported between separate tables, it's not possible to backlink inside the same table using native Airtable features.
In this article
- Single Table Linked Records Video
- General Function Configuration
- Function Configuration
- Test Your Function
- Install Your Function
Single Table Linked Records Video
General Function Configuration
- Click Create New Function ✔
- Choose your Function
- Click Add Configuration
- Set up your - Source Connection, Source Configuration, and Trigger ModeCommon Function Configurations
- Set up your Function Configuration
- Select Primary Linked Record - Select Primary Linked Record. This is the one to be modified by users.
- Select Secondary/Reverse Linked Record - Select Secondary/Reverse Linked Record. This will be auto linked on update. It should not be modified directly.
- Click Save Action Function Details
Test Your Function
- Next, ✔Test Your Function
Before using your Function, you must test it.
Install Your Function
- Then, ✔ via a Schedule, a Zapier zap, an Airtable Automation, a Script in the Scripting app, or directly via REST API.Install Your Function in Your Base